The North Kawartha Public Library has many history books about local townships within Peterborough County and also about some townships in neighbouring counties. For example we have books about: Lakefield, Havelock, Harvey, Douro, Belleville, Bancroft and many more. Our collection also includes books such as “The Bad Luck Bank Robbers: the 1961 Havelock Bank Robbery” and “Timber Empire: the Exploits of the Entrepreneurial Boyds,” a book about the historical lumber business in the Bobcaygeon area.
Important Local History Books and Binders
- Up the Burleigh Road** – History of Burleigh and Anstruther Townships
- Loon Calls** – History of Chandos Township
- Memories of the Lives of our Pioneers:
Wollaston Township and Surrounding Area
- Marvel Henning Books – Woodview
- John Craig Books – Stoney and Jack Lakes
- A One-Room School: S.S. No. 2 Burleigh
Memories of Laura Ashenhurst Tucker**
- Women’s Institute Tweedsmuir History Binders
** Available for purchase. Please enquire at the Library.
There are three binders that were put together by the Apsley Women’s Institute detailing the early history of Burleigh and Anstruther Townships
- Illustrated Historical Atlas, Peterborough County 1825 – 1875
There are also two binders full of newspaper articles about our community, collected from approximately 1984 – 2002. You will find them on the reference shelf.
Some of these resources are only available to use in the Library and may not be loaned out.
To find a list of all of our local history books type the keywords local history into the Search Box.
Please contact the Librarian if you have any questions or for more information.